Friday, November 20, 2009

4. Sister Suvi - Now I Am A Champion


Get this now. Sister Suvi are a superband if you will including members of Islands and Tuneyards. And they fucking rock. It's been a while since an album came out that truly blew me away. This is nine songs of pure genius, spanning influences of just about every favorite indie act i love. And these are smart songs, pretentious even. They require repeated listens to fully appreciate this incredible band. "Deadwood" is this dark, brooding jam that sets your nerves on edge. And it goes right into "Desolation," which is one of my favorite songs. "Clap! Clap! One, Two/Clap! Clap! Three, Four/Tell me who the ef you love more!" is one of the more memorable lyrics I've heard in a while. From there on each song gets a little more interesting, a little more intricate. "The Lot" and "Claymation" really rock and showcase some great rounds and vocal harmonies. And then "American" comes in. This is such a fucking great song. It's anti-war, it pokes fun at ourselves, but all with a snobby, fuck you attitude, because in the end, we are Americans and it's better than being something else. "Agua" is a darker song that reminds me of Sonic Youth. And the last three tracks play like a trilogy up until that incredible closer "Golden." Now I Am A Champion is one of the best albums I have heard all year, and from what I can tell, it has gone largely unnoticed. So now you know. Spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment