Tuesday, December 25, 2012

2. Kindness - World, You Need A Change Of Mind

Let's just get this right out of the way, Kindness' World, You need A Change Of Mind is the best pop album of the year. It's also the best debut album of the year, and Kindness is the best new artist of the year. Period. The album is gorgeous, and you can hear the love Adam Bainbridge put into it. On top of this, I think it's the best sounding album I've heard all year. The production is crystal; I mean this is just headphone candy at its best. Kindness is not shy about wearing their influences, in fact, on "Bombastic," the chorus cuts out and he begins to list a few of them: John Lennon, Michael Jackson, Kate Bush, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, Paul Westerberg (obviously) and many others. I think a lot of people gave him shit for this, as coming across gimicky or even cheesy... I don't see it. In fact the two covers on this album, just, completely awesome, are treated with extreme care. On "Swingin' Party," by The Replacements, he uses a simple, but effective drum loop that is overlapped by some light synths. Where it shines though, is his ability to make the vocal melody the star. Truly, "Swingin' Party" would be one of my favorite songs of all time, and this cover is a thoughtful and moving version of it. The next is Anita Dobson's "Anyone Can Fall In Love" and if you have never heard it, please do so now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CFcu8JRwAU . It is this beautiful pop gem, and I guarantee you will begin to believe that, even you, could fall in love. What I love about the cover is that he adds this great early 90's R&B vibe to it. I just keep imagining Aaliyah (RIP, much love) or Boyz 2 Men taking a verse or something. "Gee Wiz" is this quiet little jam, that has some great guitar and bass runs, that goes straight into "Gee Up" which is so awesome, I can't believe it fades away before two minutes. It really showcases some great funky slap bass, maybe a little disco in there too; anyways, it's just way to good of a hook to end so abruptly. Again, the centerpiece is "House," and I never tire of hearing it. Perhaps the most surprising moment on World... is "That's Alright." The track is HUGE, complete with background singers, incredible, almost cheesy big drums, synths, and chunky bass. I also love there's this really low sounding voice that says shit like, "THE BEAT, THE BEAT IS BAAAADDD..." and to me what sounds like, "HUGGA, HUG HER BUTT!..." It's so over the top, you can't help but get really into it. I hear a lot of INXS on that one. "Cyan" is pretty chill (and endlessly listenable) and "Doigsong" is more of that slap bass and slinky guitars we've heard earlier but really amped up. All in all, it's an extremely solid debut. What it comes down to is you can hear the love and thought that went into this album, and for me that's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment