Friday, December 7, 2012

8. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

You will see this on everyone's year end list. Maybe you've heard of him? I've been following him since Nostalgia, and been rooting for him ever since. But who would have suspected his first proper full length would have been the phenomenon it has become? Frank Ocean's Channel Orange is a breath of fresh of air. From the "Intro" when you hear the original Playstation booting up to the Street Fighter sample, Ocean puts his heart on a plate. Tucked behind the liner notes in the album sleeve is a letter about how the album came to be. Ocean went through a relationship of sorts, finally admitting his love, only to be rejected. It's more complicated than that, but this was the fuel behind Channel Orange. He goes on to say, "I wrote to keep myself busy and sane. I wanted to create worlds that were rosier than mine. I tried to channel overwhelming emotions..." And he does exactly that. Channel Orange is so bright and welcoming, you can't help but get caught up in it. There are too many standout tracks here, "Thinkin Bout You," "Sweet Life," "Super Rich Kids," "Pyramids..." I could go on about how Channel Orange start to finish is one of the best albums of the year, but I feel you already know this. You've probably already been swept by his charm. When he did SNL a few months ago, and hit all those notes on "Thinkin Bout You," I was like, that's it. Whatever "it" factor that superstars possess, he's got it. He's up for like six Grammy awards! Which is insane, and awesome, and ,I think, much deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment