Monday, December 30, 2013

3. Majical Cloudz - Impersonator



Majical Cloudz have crafted one of the most honest and personal albums of the year, and a brilliant and understated debut at that. I was lucky enough to see them earlier this year. It was just a few weeks before the release of Impersonator, so other than "Childhood's End," most of the music was brand new. I stood there in the front just in awe. For what little real estate the duo had on stage, the Cloudz surprisingly garnered our attention. The music was sparse, slow moving and ever layering synths and vocal sounds. The lead singer's voice was commanding and sincere. For a second there on "I Do Sing For You" I forgot there were people next to me, that I was at a show at all. A few weeks passed and Impersonator was finally released and upon listening I was immediately taken back to the show. Even the production sounded as if he was singing just for the listener. Everything on this album is great, from the opener and title track where he sings, "I'm a liar, I say I make music..." to the return of "Turns Turns Turns," which I think is impossible to tire of, and to the closing moments of "Bugs Don't Buzz," "This might end with a smile..."

No comments:

Post a Comment