Saturday, December 28, 2013

6. The Field - Cupid's Head



Axel Willner is back and Cupid's Head is my favorite The Field album since the perfect From Here We Go Sublime. Taking a loop and adding such subtle layers may sound boring to you but I swear, the way he can build a beat is like no other. Repetition is not a stumbling block here; it's the glue that holds everything together, the key that unlocks everything. This is electronic crack. This is music that makes its way comfortably into your brain and never outstays its welcome. I mean, his last album was called Looping State Of Mind!

Cupid's Head might suggest to be a lot darker than his previous works (I mean that album art had me expecting...) but it has so much light shining through it. I love the vocal sample on the title track, how it just seems to be crashing over itself, as the fourth note is just hammered into your skull. I love how the opener "They Won't See Me," sounds so much bigger than previous tracks. "A Guided Tour" is great, I love how on "No. No..." he harkens back to his first album and "20 Seconds Of Affection" is such an outstanding closer. I was instantly hooked the first time I heard the pulsating, "Over The Ice," back in 2007. Cupid's Head is yet another brilliant release from The Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment