Saturday, December 28, 2013

9. Tim Hecker - Virgins



Tim Hecker's Virgins is a must hear album of the year. I know a lot of people compared his last album, Ravedeath 1972, to the that album art of the piano on the rooftop, just before it falls, which... I don't know. There may be some truth to that, but I found at least some hope in Ravedeath. With Virgins though, there is no hope. The usual suspects are here, sparse noise-drone pieces with flickering piano here and there. However, Virgins feels more immediate, like there's more to say. And I don't know about you, but what I hear is hurt. Like, a deep hurt. But this is Tim Hecker. While this album is darker, it is done with so much vigor. Nothing on here is boring and you would find it difficult to find another album this year that breathes as Virgins does.

No comments:

Post a Comment